Tuesday, March 30, 2010

One Week After Departure

So it's been about a week since I left America and I'm feeling okay.
I really had a good time with my dad before we said good bye. I met a lot of people in L.A. at the orientation; people who I had never known of or talked to, and people who I had been anxiously waiting to meet. Orientation was a bit slow and boring, but still very helpful.
In the morning we woke up early and got on our way to Japan by about 1:00pm. The flight was really long, but I have to say I have never been so entertained in 12-14 hours of consciousness as I had been on the flight. New record for me. :)
In Tokyo it was crazy! There were so many people at the hotel from ALL OVER. Swedes, Thais, Germans, Malaysians, Hungarians, Americans, Australians, and Chileans just to name a few. I got to take pictures with more people I had been looking forward to meeting. Me and some friends explored the hotel and such before going to bed.
The next day we got up early and had breakfast. The room for breakfast was packed. Everyone had the same idea I guess. My bus was the first to leave, so I took some last minute photos and then left with my group to the Osaka Orientation site. The bus ride was about 10 hours long, but it didn't feel that way. We all had a fun time talking and laughing a lot.
We spent that night at the hostel and the following day having activities and discussions, and then at the end there was a talent show. It was a good time.
Finally on the 27th we headed off to meet our host families.
I love my host family. They're so nice and helpful. Even though my host mom speaks English and stuff she's really been a help. And it's nice to be able to ask her things. But I am working very hard with my Japanese and always work up the courage to say something even if it might not be right. I even bought some small spiral memo notebooks for taking notes on new words and phrases.
Yesterday my host family and I went to Kyoto for the day. I took so many pictures! There was Sakura everywhere and I took pictures of one of the temple we visited there. I even got the chance to take a picture with sumo wrestlers! I tried a lot of new foods (as well as the Japanese take on a hamburger which was yummy). I also bought a good luck charm that is now hanging off of my purse.

I hope things keep going well and I can't wait to go to school (never thought I would say that phrase in my life) as well as get my school uniform (never EVER thought I would be excited about a uniform).

Anyway, pictures will follow in the next post, and I have also posted some on facebook.
Thanks for reading guys and please continue. There will definitely be more to come ;D

**Betania

2 comments: